NATIONAL COMMITTTEE ON VITAL AND HEALTH STATISTICS
WORKING GROUP ON HHS DATA ACCESS AND USE
Through the National Committee on Vital and Health Statistics, the Working Group on HHS Data Access and Use will assist and advise the Department of Health and Human Services on recommendations to promote and expand access to and innovative uses and applications of HHS data to improve health and health care.
Based upon knowledge and familiarity with 1) the HHS data resources portfolio, 2) traditional and new information dissemination strategies, developments and technologies and social media and their application by the technology innovation community, and 3) the needs for data and information by major participants in the health system, the Working Group will monitor and identify issues and opportunities and make recommendations to HHS on improving data access and innovative use, including content, technology, media, and audiences. The Working Group will also advise HHS on promoting and facilitating communication to the public about HHS data, and will facilitate HHS access to expert opinion and public input regarding policies, procedures, and infrastructure to improve data access and use.
Specifically, the Working Group will assist and advise HHS through the Full Committee on recommendations to promote and expand access to and innovative uses and applications of HHS data to improve health and health care based upon the following considerations.
- Review the current portfolio of HHS data resources (administrative, operational, survey, public health and research data) and the current policies, mechanisms and approaches for promoting access and innovative use and applications of HHS data to improve health and health care.
- Identify and monitor trends and capabilities in traditional and new information dissemination and data access strategies, developments and technologies, including social media, and their application by the data technology innovation community and advise HHS on opportunities;
- Identify and monitor the types of data and information needed by all participants in the health system including consumers, patients, providers, plans, payors, communities, State and local governments, and the policy, research, public health and other stakeholder communities with attention to content, quality, technology and audience issues.
- Identify and study areas of opportunity to improve data access and application, and on associated privacy, technology and other data policy issues.
- Serve as a forum for promoting and facilitating creative communication to the public, key stakeholders and the technology and innovator community about the availability of HHS data and opportunities for its use.
- Facilitate HHS access to expert opinion and public input regarding policies, procedures, and infrastructure to improve data access and innovative use.
- Advise HHS in understanding and evaluation of how HHS data is being applied and the value that it is generating.
Management and Administration: In terms of meetings, structure and procedures, the Working Group will function as a NCVHS Subcommittee with membership drawn from the full Committee as well as external members based upon their expertise. The Working Group will provide its analysis and recommendations to the Full Committee. Staff to the Working Group will be provided by HHS.